Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Spring Food Festival, Part 2 - Rhubarb!

Did you try either of the Asparagus recipes I posted last time?  I hope you will.  The really are delicious and worth your time!

Today, I'm going to focus on another favorite (of mine, at least) - Rhubarb



I think I like it so well because it reminds me of my maternal grandma.  Stewed rhubarb was a staple in her kitchen...


From Wikipedia: "Rhubarb is a group of plants that belong to the genus Rheum in the family Polygonaceae.

They are herbaceous perennial plants growing from short, thick rhizomes. They have large leaves that are somewhat triangular-shaped with long fleshy petioles. They have small flowers grouped in large compound leafy greenish-white to rose-red inflorescences.


Although the leaves are toxic, various parts of the plants have culinary and medicinal uses. Fresh raw stalks are crisp (similar to celery) with a strong tart taste; most commonly the plant's stalks are cooked and used in pies and other foods for their tart flavour. A number of varieties have been domesticated for human consumption, most of which are recognised as Rheum x hybridum by the Royal Horticultural Society.


Rhubarb is usually considered to be a vegetable; however, in the United States, a New York court decided in 1947 that since it was used in the United States as a fruit it was to be counted as a fruit for the purposes of regulations and duties. A side effect was a reduction in taxes paid.

Here are the links to the Rhubarb recipes:

~ Martha Stewart's Mini Raspberry-Rhubarb Gallettes 
(I haven't tried this one, but I saw her make them on her TV show & they made my mouth water!)

~ Allrecipe.com's Streusel Rhubarb Bread

I've listed and linked a few products that  would help with these recipes.  Click on the HERE for more information.




2 qt. Mix-n-Stor Pitcher - Mix & Measure in One Container
  





Measuring Cups & Spoons - Every Kitchen Needs Them
  




Modular Mates - Pantry Storage for Staples like flour, sugar, etc.
  




Spice Containers - Keep Those Pricey Spices Fresh Longer!
  

Hope you enjoy these recipes.  Let me know if you try one!